Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Snowblower auger belt slipping

Posted by Mike L 
Snowblower auger belt slipping
December 09, 2009 08:48PM
HI, I have an older Craftsman 8ph snowblower, model #247.8867. I started to blow snow today and suddenly it stopped throwing snow and smoke started coming from the belt cover. I removed the cover, tightened the auger cable to get what appears to be proper auger belt tension and cleaned auger and impeller of snow. The belt doesn't seem to be glazed either. I restarted the snowblower and as soon as I hit some significant snow the belt stopped turning (but the engine pulley driving the belt kept spinning) and started to smoke. Any suggestions???
Thanks,
Mike
Re: Snowblower auger belt slipping
December 10, 2009 10:39AM
If a belt slips, it is not tight enough or the gearbox is worn & jamming.

M&D
December 10, 2009 12:20PM
If it is the gearbox that is worn, do you have any suggestions for a remedy?
Thanks,
Mike
December 10, 2009 12:28PM
You would need to see exactly which parts are bad & replace them as-needed.

M&D
December 10, 2009 12:41PM
Where is the gear box located?
Thanks,
Mike
December 10, 2009 12:50PM
It is between the augers & impeller.

M&D
December 10, 2009 12:50PM
Also, if one of the shear bolts have broken would that cause the same symptoms. There seems to be more "play" on one side of the auger.
Thanks again,
Mike
December 10, 2009 12:51PM
No, if a shear bolt was broken it would lessen the load on the belt, not increase it.

M&D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2009 01:12PM by Parts.
December 10, 2009 01:08PM
OK, at the expense of "going to the well to often" could you give me a rundown on how to remove and disasemble the gearbox? It's a Craftsman 8hp model #247.8867.
Thanks for all the help.
Mike
December 10, 2009 01:17PM
Often the gearbox is sold as a unit, but you should be able to find an exploded diagram on the Sears parts site which will also show you what must be removed to get at it.
December 10, 2009 02:09PM
OK, I opened the gearbox. Everything looked OK (not worn teeth on pinion or gear). Any other suggestions?
Thanks,
Mike
December 10, 2009 02:27PM
Just to make the belt tighter.

M&D
December 10, 2009 03:26PM
I just finished split the 2 halves of the snowblower. Should the the auger shaft have any play where it enters the auger/impeller housing behind the pulley. Mine has quite a bit. This snowblower has been taken apart before by the prior owner and I'm wondering if the messed with the auger shaft ball bearing.
Thanks,
Mike
December 10, 2009 04:01PM
Yes, there is a bearing there that should be fairly tight.

M&D
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.